Rispondi

My Maternal Grandfather

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
vineyardalto
vineyardalto
Introduzione: Grafico
Navigazione: Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
I am trying to figure out the identification of my maternal grandfather, who was probably Spanish or French. I am not sure if something was lost in translation -- he was either Spanish and ended up in France and died of the flu around 1935, OR was either Spanish or French and died of the SPANISH FLU while in France. No one in the remaining family knows what his name was, not even his daughter (my biological mother). I only know that he was in the La Chatre area from about 1932 to at least 1935 when he supposedly died of the flu. He supposedly died before my mother was born (she was born in May 1936). He is NOT listed on my mother's birth certificate. She was adopted by her stepfather as an infant, and it is HIS name that is on the certificate. I have already tried so many different things -- does anyone know how I might find death records for the La Chatre area for late 1935 or early 1936? (I will attach a photograph of him and my French grandmother, taken in the early 1930s.) Thank you in advance!
Allegati
MaternalGprnts.jpg
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigazione: Testo
He does look Mediterranean or more from southern Europe, but that doesn't prove his nationality. Note that the man who recognized your mother at birth is legally your grandfather, even if you know he's not your biological grandfather. Some people will argue that you know your grandfather since he is identified in your mother's birth certificate. But I understand the desire to know your biological roots.

I assume your grandmother was not married when she got pregnant. If she was, you would find a mention of her previous husband in the 1936 marriage certificate. So I would start looking for that marriage.

I'm not familiar with searching in the Indre department. It doesn't look like those records are online yet.

http://www.archives36.fr/f/EtatCivil/tableau/?&crit1=4&v_4_1=Ch%E2tre+%28La%29
https://fr.geneawiki.com/index.php/36046_-_La_Châtre
vineyardalto
vineyardalto
Thank you so much, Eric! Yes, you are correct -- my grandmother was NOT married to him when she got pregnant :( This has been a real mystery for me and my family! If you have any other advice, I would be most grateful!
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigazione: Testo
You could look through the 1931 and 1936 census. It would help you find where your grandmother was living at the time and who she was living with. But it's a long shot.

http://www.archives36.fr/f/recensements/tableau/?&crit1=10&v_10_1=Ch%E2tre+%28La%29
adel8888
adel8888
Hello

I don't think there was an outbreak of Spanish inluenza at the time in France (but I may be mistaken). So it may be more likely a Spaniard who had died from the flu if any of the "family legend" is true. It gives a little hope since it could be easier to spot someone with a foreign name in death records. Death records from that period are not online but you (or someone) can consult death registries at the archive center (archives départementales de l'Indre). If he died at the hospital, La Châtre hospital archives seem to be available to consult at the same archive center http://www.archives36.fr/r/317/hopital-de-la-chatre-h-depot-2-/
Where was your mother born? Where did your grandmother live at the time?
vineyardalto
vineyardalto
Thank you so much, adel8888! Those are some good ideas! I have actually had a friend in France look through the census for a few of those years and found a few Spanish sounding names in the town where my grandmother lived (La Chatre), but so far nothing as panned out. I still haven't really been able to look at death records. Neither have I had any DNA matches that would lead to my grandfather :( My grandmother was born and raised in La Chatre, but by 1936 she was in Chateauroux where she gave birth to my mother.
adel8888
adel8888
Yes so you could either search in La Chatre ou Chateauroux... But Chateauroux is a bigger town which is not helpful.
For DNA testing, I understand your frustration. I am trying to find DNA matches for an unknown great-grand-father and so far it's been unsuccessful... The fact that DNA testing is banned in France (for now) is not helpful. I do not know which company you used for DNA testing but most French have used MyHeritage so far (since MyH delivers to France unlike most companies and advertises a lot in France), so it may be worth considering uploading your raw DNA to their platform or also to Geneanet to allow for more matches with French people if you used another provider...
Best of luck !
Rispondi

Torna a “Family History Searches”