Rispondi

Deleting, merging, linking, etc etc

Ask for help on any topic related to the Geneanet website. Report a bug. Make a suggestion.
annederoeck
female
Introduzione: Grafico
Navigazione: Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
Hi there,

My father and mother have the same surname and their branches of my tree "converge" about 300 years ago. As a consequence, some individuals occur in my fathers and my mothers branches. Also, there are instances where a set of siblings have married another set of siblings, so their parents are already in the tree.

I have tried to "merge" individuals, but this seems to retain duplicate boxes (though possibly not in the data view), and the children of each instance appear not to merge. I also have problems deleting individuals (sometimes introduced by mistake) where the information disappears but they are replaced by a box with "??" in name slots. (I found a post of 2009 that says to log in as "wizard" - has that feature disappeared?) Finally, I am uncertain of the effect of the "link" feature when used to introduce siblings or parents that are individuals already in the tree -  please help?

With thanks and best regards.

ADR
jyb
jyb
Administrator
Navigazione: Testo
To delete an individual, click "Edit" in the menu bar then select "Delete individual".

To merge two individuals, click "Edit" in the menu bar, select "Merge with" then select the duplicate individual you want to merge.

If the two individuals you want to merge have parent, spouse and children in your family tree, we suggest that you first remove all links from the duplicate.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips
annederoeck
female
Navigazione: Grafico
Thank you very much for your reply. The key was removing links before trying to delete or merge individuals. Much appreciated.
Rispondi

Torna a “Geneanet Help & Support”