Rispondi

DNA and ancestor from approx. 400 years ago

worldfamily
female
Albero : Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
Hi, everyone,

I have a question that I hope you can help to answer. I took a DNA test for genealogy purposes and I have been matched up with people from the Netherlands, Belgium, and Scandinavia. The degree of "cousinship" is distant (4th and 5th cousins), but it is still there.

This is baffling to me, since the only ancestor that I know of to have been from that general region was from what at that time was called Flanders. Her name was Catalina Mathys Wynants van Duren. I have other ancestors from those regions, but they go so much further back in time that there is no way I could have any DNA from them. In fact, I don't think I would have any DNA from Catalina.

To my knowledge, we do not have any other ancestors from those places, although it's possible it could be from my father's side, since I don't know much about them at all, but I really don't think it would be from them, since I was told they went to Cuba from the Canary Islands and mainland Spain.

Thank you!

ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Albero : Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
Not knowing the size of the DNA segments, I cannot tell how reliable the correspondance is. Some long segments seem to stay intact for many generations while others seem to break more easily.

Having a match in a region does not mean that YOU have an ancestor in that region. It can simply mean that a great uncle, great aunt or one of their descendants moved to that region and established a family there.

Rispondi

Torna a “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”