Rispondi

Butcher

Discussions regarding the occupation of our ancestors.
jwinder
female
Introduzione: Testo
Navigazione: Testo
Vedere il suo albero genealogico

Butcher

Messaggio da jwinder »

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get information about how butchers in the mid 1800's in Yorkshire worked? I just assumed that they would have a shop to sell their meat, and would buy the animals from a farmer. However, I have come to believe that is not the case.

I found an article about butchers in Canada during the late 1700's and it  indicated that these tradesmen traveled around and worked did the butchering of the animals on the animal owners' property. Another piece of information I found about a small town in England suggests that the butchers would have a stall in which they displayed their meat for sale on a street somewhere in the Town. I would presume that in this case they had purchased the live animals. If anyone knows where I can find more information about how butcher's plied their trade, I would be interested in learning more.

In this day and age, I can't imagine a butcher slaughtering animals at his own home in the town where he and his family lives, but I guess anything is possible. My Grandmother's father and grandfather were butchers and I am trying to get an idea of what life was like for her as a little girl.

Thanks in advance, Jael
jowithane
female
Introduzione: Grafico
Navigazione: Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico

Re : Butcher

Messaggio da jowithane »

Hi

I did a quick search online and found (yorkbutchersgild.co.uk) a butchers guild from Yorkshire.
It apparently dates back to the 11th century, so they might have more information and an overview.
Joe
Rispondi

Torna a “Occupations”