Rispondi

dit VANTHOELOND

Discussions regarding the occupation of our ancestors.
ginnystruyf
female

dit VANTHOELOND

Messaggio da ginnystruyf »

While searching I found a family member that served in the military in 1815. Behind his name is the term "dit Vanthoelond". What does this term mean?
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hi,

"dit" literally means "said" (here "called"), so VANTHOELOND was his nickname.

Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
ginnystruyf
female
Thank you so much! Does Vanthoelond have some special meaning? Is it a true name or a descriptive term? I have tried to translate it and get nothing. His birth name is Jean and I am just wondering how he would get a nickname like that.
Thanks in advance...
chmidelear
male
Introduzione: Grafico
Navigazione: Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
Hello !

Do you have a copy or a link to the document where this nickname appears ?

It sounds dutch but doesn't mean anything...

Christian
ginnystruyf
female
Hello Christian,

I found it in Projet Matricules 1802-1815. His name is listed as DEGRES dit VANTHOELOND, Jean Baptiste, number 236856. I feel sure that it is Dutch since he was born in Belgium. Thanks for the info!
Ginny
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hi,

Unfortunately the website on which you can see the original document is down at the moment, it should be back by early June...

Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
chmidelear
male
Hello again !

You mean this one : https://www.geneanet.org/archives/releves/search_etat_civil.php?search=236856&clef=dep_91&ref=fraalsf67und5&place=UND&sens=liste

The original website "mémoire des hommes" is unavailable right now : i think it will be possible to see the original document from there... VANTHOELOND is perhaps a wrong transcription

Edit : sorry Claudine... I didn't see your message
chmidelear
male
I've found something interesting meanwhile

See here and click on the litte magnifying glass on the right side : https://search.arch.be/fr/rechercher-des-personnes/resultats/q/persoon_achternaam_t_0/van%20toelant/q/persoon_voornaam_t_0/jean%20baptiste/q/zoekwijze/s?M=0&V=0&O=0&persoon_0_periode_geen=0

This is a document from the belgian state archives : it states that a soldier called Jean Baptiste Van Toelant was replaced in 1806 by another guy called Jean Baptiste De Gres
ginnystruyf
female
Claudine,

That is the site that I mentioned showing Jean Baptiste De Gres. I tried to access the site that you sent but it seemed to be down. Can you tell me what information I need to put in to do a search? I really appreciate these little tidbits of information. So exciting!

Ginny
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hi Ginny,

The website I was talking about is back!

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/ark:/40699/e0052abc36ce2565/52abc36dcddea

It confirms what was said before: your ancestor was nicknamed Vanthoelond as he replaced somene called that name... ;)

Claudine
Rispondi

Torna a “Occupations”