Rispondi

World Map of Family Name

Discussions regarding the origin and the meanings of names.
loumedal
male
Introduzione: Grafico
Navigazione: Grafico
Vedere il suo albero genealogico
When I enter my family name at the "Origin of the name xxxxx"search, a world map comes up to show the distribution of the name. For example, the highest population of the name I input, appears in France, and more specifically in Southwest France. I find this distribution map very fascinating. My question is how was this data collected? Was it a collection of census information? Was it from other family genealogical researchers findings?
jyb
jyb
Administrator
Navigazione: Testo
The map is made from the collection of family trees.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips
bthompson1521
male
Navigazione: Grafico
I am new to Geneanet and this answered was most useful. Second part though is that below the map is a short list of locations where the surname is prevalent and the number of people with that surname in that location. Is there any way to identify whose tree that surname might appear in by the location? Or to search the location for tree connections? This would be most helpful in locating others through their family tree connections.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigazione: Testo
Hi,
Below the list of locations, there is a list of trees containing that name. Unfortunately, there are no links in the locations list. However, you can do a search entering only a last name and a department, which should be close to what you're looking for.

Eric
Rispondi

Torna a “Origin of Names”